Modules: Curly Free

# Kevin Smith (11 years ago)

Currently, curly braces are used within import and export declarations:

import { something } from "url";
import { something: renamed } from "url";
import { a, b, c } from "url";

export { something };
export { renamed: something };
export { a, b, c };

The import and export curlies are analogies for destructing and object literal syntax, respectively. This analogy is problematic for the following reasons:

  1. Destructuring declarations create new variables, whereas import declarations create aliases for existing variables. This distinction is subtle and can lead to misunderstandings about module semantics.

  2. Beginners tend to get the "direction" of renaming wrong with destructuring syntax:

let { myX: x } = { x: "value" }; // Oops!

Since destructuring is an intermediate to advanced feature, it's not a big problem in that context. But importing is one of the most basic features in the language. We don't want to have a stumbling block right at the front door.

  1. Curly braces within export declarations suggest a false semantics in which an object literal expression can be exported:
// Since is ok:
export { exportedA: a };

// It leads one to believe that this is ok:
export { exportedA: "some-value" };

Given those considerations, I think we should find a curly-free syntax for import and export declarations. Here is a proposal:

import something from "url";
import something as renamed from "url";
import a, b, c from "url";

export something;
export something as renamed;
export a, b, c;

In the above syntax, "as" becomes the unified keyword for renaming module bindings.

For an analysis of the ASI issues, see: gist.github.com/zenparsing/5395635

# David Herman (11 years ago)

Thanks, I do agree with most of your points, but it doesn't take into account anonymous export. I'm gonna bite the bullet here and tempt the bikeshedding demons by making an incremental suggestion for a syntax for anonymous import/export that adds to your syntax.

export default f(1, 2, 3);        // creates anonymous export by evaluating RHS expression

import default as foo from "foo"; // binds the anonymous export from module "foo" to variable foo

The downside of this is that it's a little chatty for what we expect to be the common case of modules with just a single export or modules where the vasty majority of the time you want the default export. But it has a nice symmetry and builds on your (valid) points.

# Andreas Rossberg (11 years ago)

I'm gonna bite the bullet here and tempt the bikeshedding demons by making an incremental suggestion for a syntax for anonymous import/export that adds to your syntax.

export default f(1, 2, 3);        // creates anonymous export by evaluating RHS expression

import default as foo from "foo"; // binds the anonymous export from module "foo" to variable foo

OK, you asked for it. How exactly is that superior to

export let it = f(1, 2, 3)

import it as foo from "foo"

which is both shorter and does not need any extension to the syntax at all?

# Allen Wirfs-Brock (11 years ago)

I'm gonna bite the bullet here and tempt the bikeshedding demons by making an incremental suggestion for a syntax for anonymous import/export that adds to your syntax.

export default f(1, 2, 3); // creates anonymous export by evaluating RHS expression

import default as foo from "foo"; // binds the anonymous export from module "foo" to variable foo

OK, you asked for it. How exactly is that superior to

export let it = f(1, 2, 3)

import it as foo from "foo"

which is both shorter and does not need any extension to the syntax at all?

or

export let foo = f(1, 2, 3);

import foo from "foo";
# Kevin Smith (11 years ago)

OK, you asked for it. How exactly is that superior to

export let it = f(1, 2, 3)

import it as foo from "foo"

which is both shorter and does not need any extension to the syntax at all?

It is seen as a deficiency (anti-idiomatic?) by some members of the development community to have to rename the "one thing" at all. I remain on the fence about it. Maybe developer outreach would be more effective than syntax, in this case?

# Allen Wirfs-Brock (11 years ago)

OK, you asked for it. How exactly is that superior to

export let it = f(1, 2, 3)

import it as foo from "foo"

which is both shorter and does not need any extension to the syntax at all?

It is seen as a deficiency (anti-idiomatic?) by some members of the development community to have to rename the "one thing" at all. I remain on the fence about it. Maybe developer outreach would be more effective than syntax, in this case?

But in this case the "one thing" doesn't actually have a pre-existing name so nothing is being renamed.

Also, if the export keyword is currently always followed by a declaration keyword (let, const, class, function) there would seem to be a good chance that syntactically no second keyword could be interpreted as an implicit let (or const), so:

export foo = f(1, 2, 3);  //means same thing as: export let foo = f(1,2,3)

I haven't actually analyzed the grammar implications, but it seems plausible.

# David Herman (11 years ago)

I'm gonna bite the bullet here and tempt the bikeshedding demons by making an incremental suggestion for a syntax for anonymous import/export that adds to your syntax.

export default f(1, 2, 3); // creates anonymous export by evaluating RHS expression

import default as foo from "foo"; // binds the anonymous export from module "foo" to variable foo

OK, you asked for it.

Indeed... :-}

How exactly is that superior to

export let it = f(1, 2, 3)

import it as foo from "foo"

which is both shorter and does not need any extension to the syntax at all?

Because character count is not the only measure of clarity. And requiring a naming convention imposes standardization costs. We're the standards body! Not only that, but there's also the problem of interoperability with existing code (AMD, NPM, etc) that uses the "single dynamic export" idiom.

# Kevin Smith (11 years ago)

Not only that, but there's also the problem of interoperability with existing code (AMD, NPM, etc) that uses the "single dynamic export" idiom.

There is that. We've floated some different ideas in the past for dealing with this but Andreas dislikes them all. :) Here's another option that we should at least throw on the table:

Not support interoperability. Load legacy modules with legacy methods and ES modules with ES syntax.

NPM modules which are upgraded to ES modules can still maintain backward compatibility with require by continuing to set module.exports = expr.

An upside to this solution would be that actively maintained NPM modules would be pressured by users to migrate up to ES modules, thereby moving the codebase at large away from legacy module systems.

A downside to this solution would be the "pitchfork" risk.

# Andreas Rossberg (11 years ago)

I'm gonna bite the bullet here and tempt the bikeshedding demons by making an incremental suggestion for a syntax for anonymous import/export that adds to your syntax.

export default f(1, 2, 3);        // creates anonymous export by evaluating RHS expression

import default as foo from "foo"; // binds the anonymous export from module "foo" to variable foo

OK, you asked for it.

Indeed... :-}

How exactly is that superior to

export let it = f(1, 2, 3)

import it as foo from "foo"

which is both shorter and does not need any extension to the syntax at all?

Because character count is not the only measure of clarity. And requiring a naming convention imposes standardization costs. We're the standards body!

I don't understand. Are you saying that it has a higher cost to standardize a trivial convention than it is to standardize additional ad-hoc syntax?

Not only that, but there's also the problem of interoperability with existing code (AMD, NPM, etc) that uses the "single dynamic export" idiom.

Sure, but that's probably equi-distant from both solutions, i.e., neither makes that easier or harder than the other. At least I don't see how.

/Andreas

# Brendan Eich (11 years ago)

Andreas Rossberg wrote:

I don't understand. Are you saying that it has a higher cost to standardize a trivial convention than it is to standardize additional ad-hoc syntax?

Answering for Dave: you bet it is.

The cost of the former is born by everyone in a large-N community who must learn the "trivial convention". The cost of the latter is born by we few TC39ers and JS implementors, who can make that sacrifice.

Recall Mr. Spock's Kobayashi Maru solution from STII:TWoK.

# Kevin Smith (11 years ago)

The cost of the former is born by everyone in a large-N community who must learn the "trivial convention". The cost of the latter is born by we few TC39ers and JS implementors, who can make that sacrifice.

Yeah, but it's a false dilemma, I think. No trivial naming convention is necessary, and no ad-hoc syntax is necessary. Asking the developer to name a thing with a well-chosen identifier is completely reasonable in my book.

Further: with the right syntax in place exporting more than one thing will likely cease to be an anti-pattern.

Also, a proposal-gist of curly-free syntax and inline modules:

gist.github.com/zenparsing/5360205

# David Herman (11 years ago)

Yeah, but it's a false dilemma, I think. No trivial naming convention is necessary, and no ad-hoc syntax is necessary. Asking the developer to name a thing with a well-chosen identifier is completely reasonable in my book.

I don't really know how to answer opinions like this. It just seems like... it's fine that you feel that way, but kind of irrelevant. Significant communities of JS developers have already spoken -- in words and in precedent -- that they disagree with you. So for both smoother interoperability and continuing to support what is a highly valued use case, it's a tiny price to pay.

Further: with the right syntax in place exporting more than one thing will likely cease to be an anti-pattern.

This misunderstands the value of anonymous export. There's a reason I call it "anonymous" and not "single." This is about having a "main" export, a common case. Even when there's a very low cost to having multiple exports, it's still extremely common for a library to have a particular operation you want to use 90% of the time. So whether you have 1 export or 100, there's still value in anonymous export.

# David Herman (11 years ago)