Block exprs as better object literals (was: Semantics and abstract syntax of lambdas)

# Mark S. Miller (15 years ago)

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 6:22 AM, Dave Herman <dherman at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

Lex Spoon wrote:

So I would be interested in a simple syntactic form like Lex's suggestion. Imagine for a moment the following idea didn't cause parsing problems (it does, but bear with me). Say we had a sequence-expression form:

{ stmt; ... ; stmt; => expr }

and then add two kinds of block literals, a block-statement form and a sequence-expression form:

^(x1,...,xn) { stmt; ... ; stmt } ^(x1,...,xn) { stmt; ... ; stmt; => expr }

  1. Tail position would only be a property of expressions, not statements [1]. That's simpler.
  2. There's no "accidental return" hazard because you have to explicitly use the => form.
  3. It doesn't break Tennent because the return position is a fixed part of the syntax, not a separate operator whose meaning gets captured by lambda.

It does make lambda-as-control-abstraction a few characters more expensive. More immediately, this notation is obviously wildly conflicting with the object-literal syntax. I probably should leave it to the syntax warriors to figure out how to spell this in unambiguous ASCII. But there's the idea.

To postpone debate about concrete lexical syntax while I make a different point, I will use "reveal" as a keyword meaning approximately what your "=>"

means above; and "lambda" for your "^" above. Given

The notion of "revealed value" would replace the role of completion value from your original lambda proposal. Revealing a value is not a control transfer. It merely stores that value to become the revealed value of that block. A "reveal" in a sub-block does not effect the revealed value of the containing block, and may well be a static error. ("completion value" would, unfortunately, continue to exist for legacy compatibility of uses of "eval", but would have no other role in the language.) Your two examples above become

lambda(x1,...,xn) { stmt; ... ; stmt } // reveals nothing, i.e., like

"reveal (undefined);" lambda(x1,...,xn) { stmt; ... ; reveal (expr) } // reveals value of expr

The "reveal" would not need to go last, but a given block could have a most one: "reveal" "(" <expr> ")".

At esdiscuss/2008-November/008185,

Peter Michaux makes an interesting proposal that I think can be combined with the proposal above, by having "reveal" also do a job similar to Peter's "public". Block-expressions with "reveal"s, could then be used instead of an enhanced object literal for class-like instance declarations. That's why I placed the mandatory "("s in the above use of reveal, so I could make more use of this keyword without ambiguity below. An alternate concrete syntax could use two keywords (perhaps "public"?) or other syntax of course.

The last two productions introduce the notion of a "revealed declaration". A given block can either

  • reveal nothing (equivalent to "reveal (undefined)"),
  • have exactly one "reveal" "(" <expr> ")",
  • or have any number of revealed declarations

If a block contains revealed declarations, then the block's revealed value is a new non-extensible object whose properties mirror these declared variable names. A revealed "const" is simply a copy of the same value. For "var", "let", and "function", the property is an accessor property without a setter, whose getter gets the named variable. Revealed "function"s and the last (method) production create non-enumerable properties. The others are enumerable. Revealed "var"s create configurable properties. The others are non-configurable. Thus, in the absence of a revealed "var", the revealed object is frozen. Redoing Peter's example[2], we get

const Point = lambda(privX, privY) { let privInstVar = 2; const privInstConst = -2; reveal toString() { reveal ('<' + getX() + ',' + getY() + '>') }; reveal getX() { reveal privX }; reveal getY() { reveal privY }; reveal let pubInstVar = 4; reveal const pubInstConst = -4; }

Revealed declarations always desugar to object creation + property definition + revealing the created object. So the above example would desugar to

const Point = lambda(privX, privY) { let privInstVar = 2; const privInstConst = -2; const toString = lambda() { reveal ('<' + getX() + ',' + getY() + '>') }; const getX = lambda() { reveal (privX) }; const getY = lambda() { reveal (privY) }; let pubInstVar = 4; const pubInstConst = -4; reveal (Object.preventExtensions(Object.create(Object.prototype, { toString: {value: toString}, getX: {value: getX}, getY: {value: getY}, pubInstVar: {get: lambda{reveal (pubInstVar)}, enumerable: true}, pubInstConst: {value: pubInstConst, enumerable: true} }))) }

Not yet addressed:

  • decent concrete lexical syntax
  • how can we name the "self" object being initialized?
  • how can we provide an alternative to Object.prototype to inherit from?
  • how can we simply express revealing a setter as well?

The last three bullets can obviously be handled manually by avoiding the revealed declaration sugar. But typical class-like use will want to combine the convenience of revealed declarations with at least self-naming and alternate parents.

There may well be a fatal flaw with this proposal before we bikeshed its concrete lexical syntax. Let's try to discuss abstract syntax, semantics, and the last three bullets above before we plummet into the concrete lexical syntax bikeshed. Thanks.

[1] Under the assumption that lambda makes frozen closures. If not, then reveal <ident> <paramList>? <block>

should desugar to reveal const <ident> = Object.freeze(lambda <paramList> <block>)

[2] I substituted "getX()" and "getY()" for Peter's "x()" and "y()". I couldn't tell whether Peter meant "x" and "y" to be accessor properties or accessor methods. If accessor properties, their uses shouldn't have end in "()". If accessor methods, I find the verb-names "getX"/"getY" clearer than "x" and "y".

# Mark S. Miller (15 years ago)

reveal getX() { reveal privX }; reveal getY() { reveal privY };

Oops. Should be

  reveal getX() { reveal (privX) };
  reveal getY() { reveal (privY) };
# Yuh-Ruey Chen (15 years ago)

Mark S. Miller wrote:

[...]

TBH, even after substituting more Java-esque keywords like "public" for "reveal", this just doesn't appeal to my aesthetic sense. The user will naturally wonder why he should do |reveal (privX)| rather than |return privX|. I'm not sure what the benefit there is to trying to completely replace functions with lambdas for class methods.

# Mark S. Miller (15 years ago)