ES Decimal status

# Sam Ruby (16 years ago)

Preface:

 Poor Pratap.  He's folded in updates from me on the various
 operators several times now.  It has gone from Type(Result(n))
 is Decimal, to Form(Result(n)) is Decimal, and now reads
 Result(n) instanceof Decimal.  I believe that the current
 consensus is that the original formulation was the correct one
 for equality operators, and nearly so for the remaining
 operators.  For arithmetic operators, the correct formulation is
 closer to Type(GetValue(Result(n)) is Decimal, though in most
 cases that simply means that the “if” check moves after the
 existing steps that call GetValue, as it will be those results
 that are checked.

 Before proceeding with what hopefully is a final update, I want
 to verify my assumptions on what the consensus is.  Let me know
 if you have any issues you would like me to add to the list.

Description of ES 3.1m decimal support

 number and decimal are distinct primitive data types.  The
 former is based on IEEE 754 binary 64 floating point, the latter
 is based on IEEE 754r decimal 128 floating point.  Each
 primitive data type is associated with a wrapper type, namely
 Number and Decimal.

 The wrapper classes, when invoked as a function, can be used to
 convert between the two data types.  Conversion from decimal to
 number may involve the loss of precision, and may result in +/-
 infinity if the exponent is outside of the range supported by
 binary64.  Conversion from number to decimal is precise and will
 round trip.

 Mixed mode operations, e.g. the addition of a decimal and a
 number, proceed by first precisely converting the number to a
 decimal, and then by performing a decimal addition operation.
 The notable exception to this is strict equality which will
 always return false if the types of the expressions involve
 differ.

 Binary Bitwise operators currently defined in terms of producing
 32 bit integer results (e.g. shift), will continue to be defined
 in terms of producing 32 bit integer results, i.e. will produce
 a value of type number.  Such numbers will always convert
 exactly to decimal.

 Additionally, there will be a number of named methods provided
 on the Decimal class.  Many of these methods will accept a math
 context as a final argument.  This will be a simple object,
 which will be examined for a single property named “round”.
 This will be compared against a number of predefined values, and
 will be used to determine the rounding mode of the operation.

 All named decimal methods will convert the default value of the
 arguments directly to decimal, without first converting them to
 a number.  For example '1.1' would be treated as 1.1m when
 passed as an argument to decimal.

 While 128 bit decimal trigonometric functions could be proposed
 at some point in the future, the existing Math libraries are to
 be left untouched, and will continue to return numbers.  This
 means that the following Decimal equivalents will be required:
 abs, min, max.

 While extending base classes is generally frowned upon by many
 in the ES community, Decimal should be extendable in precisely
 the same ways as Number is in ES3.

 In a nutshell, that's pretty much all there is too Decimal
 support.

An implementation you can reference

 As opposed to a “reference implementation” :-)

 Often times loose prose such as this doesn't capture nuances as
 well as code or test cases can.  I have published a branch of
 SpiderMonkey with the functionality described above, and those
 that care to can review the source.  This includes a number of
 test cases, and I've published the results for quick reference.
 I've also got a live web service which you can use to evaluate
 simple expressions; for many, this might be easier than
 downloading and building this code yourself.

 http://code.intertwingly.net/public/hg/js-decimal/

 http://intertwingly.net/stories/2008/09/12/estest.html

 http://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-August/007261.html

 Note the recent changes in the typeof, instanceOf, ==, and ===
 tables.

 I am particularly interested in any test cases people might like
 to see added.  Particularly ones that deal with object-ness or
 prototype chains.

 I have still yet to hear back from from the SquirrelFish team.
 After Redmond, I'm considering adding Decimal support to V8.

Open questions

  • Decimal literals. I believe that they would be a big win at almost a negligible cost. But I fully recognize that no backwards incompatible syntax change has been introduced into the language to date.

  • Selection of which named methods to include. Clearly functions like quantum and compareTotal are needed. Not so clear are functions that duplicate infix and prefix operators, such as add and plus. I've heard arguments on both sides, and don't have a strong opinion on this subject myself. After we verify consensus on the broader approach described in this email, I can present a list of potential candidate methods, grouped into categories. We should be able to quickly sort through this list. This effort could be done either on the mailing list or in the F2F meeting in Redmond.

  • Whether the named methods are to be static or instance methods. I've heard arguments both ways, and could go either way on this. Frankly, the infix operators capture the 80% use case. Instance methods feel more OO, and some (like toString and valueOf) are required anyway. Static methods may be more consistent with Math.abs, and are asserted to be more suited to code generators and optimization, though I must admit that I never could quite follow this argument.

  • Should there be a “use decimal”? To me, this feels like something that could be added later. The fact that all 15 digit integers convert exactly, as well as a few common fractions such as .5 and .25, greatly reduces the need. The strategy of doing precise conversions also will tend to highlight when mixed operations occur, and will do so in a non-fatal way.

Approaches not selected:

  • Decimal as a library only. Reason: usability concerns and evolution of the language concerns. More specifically, the definition of the behaviors of operators like === and + need to be specified. Throwing exceptions would not merely be developer unfriendly, it would likely be perceived as causing existing libraries to break. And whatever was standardized would make latter support for such operators to be a breaking change – at the very least it would require an opt-in.

  • Attempting to round binary 64 values to the nearest decimal 128 value. Such approaches are fragile (e.g., 1.2-1.1) and tends to hide rather than reveal errors.

  • Decimal being either a “subclass” or “form” of number. Turned out to be too confusing, potentially breaking, and in general larger in scope than simply providing a separate type and wrapper class.

  • Type(3m) being “object”. Reason: the only false values for objects should be null, and it is highly desirable that 0.0m be considered false.

  • Methods naming based on Java's BigDecimal class. This was my original approach as it was initially felt that IEEE 754 was too low of level. This turned out not to be the case, and there are some conflicts (e.g. valueOf is a static method with a single argument on BigDecimal).

  • Having a separate context class or storing application state in Decimal class. The former is unnecessary namespace pollution in a language with a simple syntax for object literals, and the latter is against the policy of this working group.

  • Sam Ruby
# David-Sarah Hopwood (16 years ago)

Sam Ruby wrote:

Description of ES 3.1m decimal support

 number and decimal are distinct primitive data types.  The
 former is based on IEEE 754 binary 64 floating point, the latter
 is based on IEEE 754r decimal 128 floating point.

[...]

 Conversion from number to decimal is precise and will round trip.

Conversion of number to decimal is not precise.

From esdiscuss/2008-August/007251:

Decimal is wider, but while every number expressible as a binary64 will

map to a unique decimal128 value and will round-trip back to the same

binary64 number[3], it is not the case that the numbers that a binary64

number maps in decimal128 to map to exactly the same point on the real

number line as the original binary64 number[4].

[3] speleotrove.com/decimal/decifaq6.html#binapprox

[4] speleotrove.com/decimal/decifaq6.html#bindigits

I'm also not sure whether the round-trip property covers all NaNs (preserving payload), denormal, or unnormal values.

Sam Ruby wrote:

 number and decimal are distinct primitive data types.  The
 former is based on IEEE 754 binary 64 floating point, the latter
 is based on IEEE 754r decimal 128 floating point.

[...]

 Conversion from number to decimal is precise and will round trip.

Conversion of number to decimal is not precise.

I chose my words carefully :-)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

I agree that decimal has a precision greater than number, but you said that "Conversion from number to decimal is precise" without qualification. In the case of a deterministic conversion rather than a measurement, I think it is quite unclear to use the term "precise" in this context (as opposed to "repeatable" or "reproducible"), and I don't think that the spec should express it in that way.

I'm also not sure whether the round-trip property covers all NaNs (preserving payload), denormal, or unnormal values.

NaN payloads should be preserved (decimal has quite a few more bits).

The results, however, wouldn't preserve the "normalness" (or lack there of) of the original input.

Thanks for the clarification. Does IEEE 754r (or the ES3.1m interpretation/ profile of it) specify that NaN payloads shall be preserved in a way that round-trips?

# Sam Ruby (16 years ago)

 number and decimal are distinct primitive data types.  The
 former is based on IEEE 754 binary 64 floating point, the latter
 is based on IEEE 754r decimal 128 floating point.

[...]

 Conversion from number to decimal is precise and will round trip.

Conversion of number to decimal is not precise.

I chose my words carefully :-)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

I agree that decimal has a precision greater than number, but you said that "Conversion from number to decimal is precise" without qualification. In the case of a deterministic conversion rather than a measurement, I think it is quite unclear to use the term "precise" in this context (as opposed to "repeatable" or "reproducible"), and I don't think that the spec should express it in that way.

This was just my summary. When people see Decimal(1.1) produces 1.100000000000000088817841970012523m, they are likely to react "boy that's... um... precise".

Independent of how it is described, do you or anybody see any specific results in the following that seems inconsistent with ECMAScript:

intertwingly.net/stories/2008/09/12/estest.html

Any other tests I should add?

I'm also not sure whether the round-trip property covers all NaNs (preserving payload), denormal, or unnormal values.

NaN payloads should be preserved (decimal has quite a few more bits).

The results, however, wouldn't preserve the "normalness" (or lack there of) of the original input.

Thanks for the clarification. Does IEEE 754r (or the ES3.1m interpretation/ profile of it) specify that NaN payloads shall be preserved in a way that round-trips?

My understanding is that IEEE 754r merely encourages the payloads to be preserved, but I haven't looked recently. Whether we decide to go beyond the requirements of the specification is up to us.

-- David-Sarah Hopwood

  • Sam Ruby
# Mike Cowlishaw (16 years ago)
 Conversion from number to decimal is precise and will round

trip.

Conversion of number to decimal is not precise. I chose my words carefully :-) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accuracy_and_precision

I agree that decimal has a precision greater than number, but you said that "Conversion from number to decimal is precise" without

qualification.

In the case of a deterministic conversion rather than a measurement, I think it is quite unclear to use the term "precise" in this context (as opposed to "repeatable" or "reproducible"), and I don't think that the spec should express it in that way.

This was just my summary. When people see Decimal(1.1) produces 1.100000000000000088817841970012523m, they are likely to react "boy that's... um... precise".

:-). 'correctly rounded' would be a good way to describe it.

I'm also not sure whether the round-trip property covers all NaNs (preserving payload), denormal, or unnormal values.

NaN payloads should be preserved (decimal has quite a few more bits).

The results, however, wouldn't preserve the "normalness" (or lack there of) of the original input.

Thanks for the clarification. Does IEEE 754r (or the ES3.1m

interpretation/

profile of it) specify that NaN payloads shall be preserved in a way

that

round-trips?

My understanding is that IEEE 754r merely encourages the payloads to be preserved, but I haven't looked recently. Whether we decide to go beyond the requirements of the specification is up to us.

IEEE 754-2008 could only go as far as using Shoulds for propagation of payloads, because of the varied implementations of binary formats (different ways of distinguishing signaling NaNs, for example). The relevant subclause is:

6.2.3 NaN propagation 6.2.3.0 An operation that propagates a NaN operand to its result and has a single NaN as an input should produce a NaN with the payload of the input NaN if representable in the destination format.

If two or more inputs are NaN, then the payload of the resulting NaN should be identical to the payload of one of the input NaNs if representable in the destination format. This standard does not specify which of the input NaNs will provide the payload.

Conversion of a quiet NaN from a narrower format to a wider format in the same radix, and then back to the same narrower format, should not change the quiet NaN payload in any way except to make it canonical.

Conversion of a quiet NaN to a floating-point format of the same or a different radix that does not allow the payload to be preserved, shall return a quiet NaN that should provide some language-defined diagnostic information.

There should be means to read and write payloads from and to external character sequences (see 5.12.1).

Mike

Unless stated otherwise above: IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with number 741598. Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO6 3AU

# Waldemar Horwat (16 years ago)

There is still a blocking issue that's been discussed a lot but left off the issues here:

  • Treatment of cohorts in the default conversion of decimal to string. Despite objections, I still get the following results:

1/3m - 1/3m produces 0e-34

1e12m - 1e12m produces 0e+12

1/.1m produces 1e+1

Waldemar
# Mike Cowlishaw (16 years ago)

There is still a blocking issue that's been discussed a lot but left off the issues here:

  • Treatment of cohorts in the default conversion of decimal to string. Despite objections, I still get the following results:

1/3m - 1/3m produces 0e-34

1e12m - 1e12m produces 0e+12

1/.1m produces 1e+1

I'm still not clear what your objections are -- we can discuss on Thursday, but the intent here is that the toString conversion be reversible (i.e., from the string representation one can recreate the decimal128 from which it was derived). So I think you are really complaining about the rule for division (which is 'the best yet' that anyone has come up with, as it matches the rule for multiplication) and the rule for subtraction (which preserves the smaller exponent). Hence 1.23-1.22 -> 0.01 and 1.23-1.23 -> 0.00. The exponent is not

data-dependent unless there is rounding.

Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

[...]

No; I'm complaining about the bizarre results that toString produces which are counter to its existing behavior. I don't care how many extra zeroes division sticks at the end of the number because I should never see them. This has been hashed out many times and also breaks things such as arrays if left uncorrected.

Note that Douglas's plan to have a decimal-only version of ECMAScript cannot work as long as this toString misbehavior continues.

Waldemar

Waldemar Horwat wrote:

Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

[...]

Agreed. It's fine to have an operation that maps decimal128 values to strings reversibly, but '.toString()' should not be that operation.

Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

Waldemar Horwat wrote:

Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

There is still a blocking issue that's been discussed a lot but left off the issues here:

  • Treatment of cohorts in the default conversion of decimal to string. [...]

I'm still not clear what your objections are -- we can discuss on Thursday, but the intent here is that the toString conversion be reversible [...]

No; I'm complaining about the bizarre results that toString produces which are counter to its existing behavior. I don't care how many extra zeroes division sticks at the end of the number because I should never see them. This has been hashed out many times and also breaks things such as arrays if left uncorrected.

Agreed. It's fine to have an operation that maps decimal128 values to strings reversibly, but '.toString()' should not be that operation.

I don't really have an opinion on how the operation should be spelled.

That matters, because .toString() is used implicitly in primitive operations, unlike other most other methods (.valueOf() aside).

But it would seem nice, not bizarre, for the default conversion from a decimal number to a string in ES to work the same as in Java and in the equivalent functions and methods for C, C++, Python, many other languages, and in existing decimal packages.

Java, C and C++ do not have implicit conversions that call .toString(), and in particular they don't call it on the index in an array indexing operation.

# Mike Cowlishaw (16 years ago)

David-Sarah Hopwood wrote:

Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

Waldemar Horwat wrote:

Mike Cowlishaw wrote:

[...]

Understood. I meant that if the function had to be provided under another name that is OK, but not ideal.

But it would seem nice, not bizarre, for the default conversion from a decimal number to a string in ES to work the same as in Java and in the

equivalent

functions and methods for C, C++, Python, many other languages, and in

existing decimal packages.

Java, C and C++ do not have implicit conversions that call .toString(),

Java certainly does (the concatenate operator, and in many common methods (println for example)). And in the new C extensions, printf does the equivalent on decimal data and gives the same string results by default.

and in particular they don't call it on the index in an array indexing operation.

This is true. But that in itself is not the problem. Currently, should a programmer write:

a[1]="first" a[1.000]="second"

it's assumed that the second case was an accidental typo and they really did not mean to type the extra '.000'. The problem occurs at that point, on the conversion from a decimal (ASCII/Unicode/whatever) string in the program to an internal representation. When the internal representation cannot preserve the distinction (as with binary doubles) there's not much that can be done about it. But a decimal internal representation can preserve the distinction, and so it should - 1m and 1.000m differ in the same was a "1" and "1.000". They are distinguishable, but when interpreted as a number, they are considered equal.

Mike

Unless stated otherwise above: IBM United Kingdom Limited - Registered in England and Wales with number 741598. Registered office: PO Box 41, North Harbour, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO6 3AU

# Maciej Stachowiak (16 years ago)

and in particular they don't call it on the index in an array
indexing operation.

This is true. But that in itself is not the problem. Currently,
should a programmer write:

a[1]="first" a[1.000]="second"

it's assumed that the second case was an accidental typo and they
really did not mean to type the extra '.000'. The problem occurs at that
point, on the conversion from a decimal (ASCII/Unicode/whatever) string in
the program to an internal representation. When the internal
representation cannot preserve the distinction (as with binary doubles) there's not
much that can be done about it. But a decimal internal representation can preserve the distinction, and so it should - 1m and 1.000m differ in
the same was a "1" and "1.000". They are distinguishable, but when interpreted as a number, they are considered equal.

I'm not sure what you are getting at. a[1] and a[1.000] refer to the
same property in ECMAScript, but a[1m] and a[1.000m] would not. Are
you saying this isn't a problem?

I would agree with Waldermar that it is a serious problem. Not so much
for literals as for values that end up with varying numbers of
trailing zeroes depending on how they were computed, even though they
are numerically the same. Certainly it seems it would make arrays
unusable for someone trying to use decimal numbers only.

, Maciej

# Sam Ruby (16 years ago)

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

and in particular they don't call it on the index in an array
indexing operation. This is true. But that in itself is not the problem. Currently,
[...]

"broken", "unusable". Given superlatives such as these, one would think that code which would change in behavior would be abundant, and readily identified.

, Maciej

  • Sam Ruby
# Maciej Stachowiak (16 years ago)

and in particular they don't call it on the index in an array
indexing operation. This is true. But that in itself is not the problem. Currently,
should a programmer write:

a[1]="first" a[1.000]="second"

it's assumed that the second case was an accidental typo and they
really did not mean to type the extra '.000'. The problem occurs at
that point, on the conversion from a decimal (ASCII/Unicode/whatever) string
in the program to an internal representation. When the internal
representation cannot preserve the distinction (as with binary doubles) there's
not much that can be done about it. But a decimal internal representation
can preserve the distinction, and so it should - 1m and 1.000m differ
in the same was a "1" and "1.000". They are distinguishable, but when interpreted as a number, they are considered equal. I'm not sure what you are getting at. a[1] and a[1.000] refer to
the same property in ECMAScript, but a[1m] and a[1.000m] would
not. Are you saying this isn't a problem? I would agree with Waldermar that it is a serious problem. Not so
much for literals as for values that end up with varying numbers
of trailing zeroes depending on how they were computed, even
though they are numerically the same. Certainly it seems it would
make arrays unusable for someone trying to use decimal numbers only.

"broken", "unusable". Given superlatives such as these, one would
think that code which would change in behavior would be abundant,
and readily identified.

I would not expect there to be a wide body of existing code using the
decimal extension to ECMAScript, let alone trying to use it for all
browsers. Such code would not work at all in today's browsers, and has
probably been written by specialist experts, so I am not sure studying
it would show anything interesting.

, Maciej

# Sam Ruby (16 years ago)

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

You probably meant to send this to the list.

Oops. Resending.

# Michael (16 years ago)

Maciej wrote:

"I'm not sure what you are getting at. a[1] and a[1.000] refer to the

same property in ECMAScript, but a[1m] and a[1.000m] would not. Are

you saying this isn't a problem?"

This is not quite true as you can see here:

var a = [];

a[1] = "foo";

a[1.00] = "bar";

WScript.Echo("length: "+a.length + "\n["+ a.join()+"]")

length: 2

[,bar]

Firefox (3.0.2) does the same

# Maciej Stachowiak (16 years ago)