Spawn proposal strawman

# Mark S. Miller (15 years ago)

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Mark S. Miller <erights at google.com> wrote:

[...] For the Valija-like level, I think the most important enabler would be some kind of hermetic eval or spawn primitive for making a new global context (global object and set of primordials) whose connection to the world outside itself is under control of its spawner. With such a primitive, we would no longer need to emulate inheritance and mutable globals per sandbox.

May as well get us started with a strawman, intended only to provide the global object separations, not any scheduling separations. Whether these two issues should in fact be coupled or decoupled is an interesting question.

eval.hermetic(program :(string | AST), thisValue, optBindings) :any
eval.spawn(optBindings, optGlobalSubsetDirective :Opt(string)) :Sandbox

interface Sandbox {
  public getGlobal() :GlobalObject;
  public deactivate(problem :string) :void;
}

eval.hermetic() does an indirect eval of the program in the current global context, but, as in strawman:lexical_scope,

without the global object at the bottom of the scope chain.

the 'this' value in scope at the top of the evaluated program is the provided thisValue; so a caller without access to their own global object cannot grant access they don't have. If the 'thisValue' is absent, then the global 'this' of the evaled program is undefined.

  • If optBindings is absent or falsy, then the bottom of the scope chain is populated with the ES spec defined global bindings, i.e., {Object: Object, Array: Array, etc...}. If optBindings is provided and truthy, then its own properties (or perhaps its enumerable properties, or its enumerable own properties?) are uses to populate the bottom of the scope chain. In either case, the object at the bottom of a hermetic scope chain is a declarative environment record, not an object environment record.

eval.spawn() makes a new global context -- a global object and a set of primordials. This new global context is subsidiary to the present one for (at least) deactivation and language subsetting purposes, so spawning forms a tree.

  • If optBindings are provided, its own properties are copied over to populate the newly created global object.
  • If optGlobalSubsetDirective is provided, then all code evaluated in this global context is constrained as if by an outer lexical use subset directive. Subset constraints compose across subsidiary spawns -- as if the optGlobalSubsetDirective of outer sandboxes were yet more outer lexical use subset directives.
  • It returns a Sandbox object for interacting with that new global context: obtaining its global object or deactivating all objects created within this global context or any subsidiary global contexts. If there are any live stack frames executing within a context that would be deactivated at the time sandbox.deactivate() is called, then deactivate throws and has no other effect.

One then runs code hermetically within a sandbox by

sandbox.getGlobal().eval.hermetic(...)

Given good catchalls and weak-key-tables, good membranes should be possible. Indeed, this should be a litmus test of catchall proposals. Given good membranes, one can easily gain other desired security properties by interposing membranes around some of the above objects.

# Kris Kowal (15 years ago)