Suggested RegExp Improvements

# Marc Harter (14 years ago)

After considering all the breadth this discussion could take maybe it would be wise to just focus on one issue at a time. For me, the biggest missing feature is lookbehind. Its common to most languages implementing the Perl-RegExp-syntax, it is very useful when looking for patterns that follow or don't follow a particular pattern. I guess I'm confused why lookahead made it in but not lookbehind. What do people think about including this feature?

Marc

# Brendan Eich (14 years ago)

After considering all the breadth this discussion could take maybe it would be wise to just focus on one issue at a time. For me, the biggest missing feature is lookbehind. Its common to most languages implementing the Perl-RegExp-syntax, it is very useful when looking for patterns that follow or don't follow a particular pattern. I guess I'm confused why lookahead made it in but not lookbehind.

This was 1998, Netscape 4 work I did in '97 was based on Perl 4(!), but we proposed to ECMA TC39 TG1 (the JS group -- things were different then, including capitalization) something based on Perl 5. We didn't get everything, and we had to rationalize some obvious quirks.

I don't remember lookbehind (which emerged in Perl 5.005 in July '98) being left out on purpose. Waldemar may recall more, I'd handed him the JS keys inside netscape.com to go do mozilla.org.

If you are game to write a proposal or mini-spec (in the style of ES5 even), let me know. I'll chat with other TC39'ers next week about this.

# Waldemar Horwat (14 years ago)