About private names

# Andrew Dupont (13 years ago)

The recent mention of the private names strawman [1] in the "Standardizing proto" thread led me to re-read the proposal. After staring at it for far too long, I had the "aha!" moment, but it left me with a question.

The "Conflict-Free Object Extension Using Private Names" section includes a code example in which a function declares a private name clone, uses that private name to define several extensions to built-ins, and then returns the value of the private name so that it can be passed to another scope. The outer scope uses that returned value to set the value of its own private name called clone, and is then able to call [].clone, {}.clone, etc., and have them point to the methods that were defined inside the function.

Here's my question: what happens if, sometime after that snippet of code, a user writes code that declares a clone property? Something like:

var MyObj = { clone: function() { return new MyObj(this); } };

In other words: it appears that, in order to use the clone sugar given in the example, a user must "taint" a given scope so that all further references to "clone" (after . or before : at least) will refer to that private name. That's likely not what the user intends. Once a private name is declared in a given scope, can it ever be "reclaimed" as public later on?

Or, to use another example: let's say MyObj was defined in a different scope, one in which clone was assumed to be a public name. Can I do this...

private clone = installCloneLibrary(); var twin = [{a:0}, {b:1}].clone(); var thing = MyObj.clone();

... and have it work the way I intend? In other words, once ES5 fails to find something with the clone private name defined on MyObj, will it try to find the property with the public name of clone before it gives up? (If I'm reading this right, it won't.)

I think it's great that we're trying to find ways to make built-in extension safer without beating the dead horse of namespaces. But I fear that the proposal, in its current form, would be too cumbersome for that purpose.

Cheers, Andrew

[1] strawman:private_names

# Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (13 years ago)

Or, to use another example: let's say MyObj was defined in a different scope, one in which clone was assumed to be a public name. Can I do this...

private clone = installCloneLibrary(); var twin = [{a:0}, {b:1}].clone(); var thing = MyObj.clone();

... and have it work the way I intend? In other words, once ES5 fails to find something with the clone private name defined on MyObj, will it try to find the property with the public name of clone before it gives up? (If I'm reading this right, it won't.)

You're correct -- this won't do what you probably intended. But the great thing about private names is that this is a problem you can locally fix. For example:

private myClone = installCloneLibrary(); var twin = [{a:0}, {b:1}].myClone(); var thing = MyObj.clone();

or

var cloneProp = installCloneLibrary(); var twin = [{a:0}, {b:1}]cloneProp; var thing = MyObj.clone();

will both do what you expect, without requiring changes to either CloneLibrary or MyObj. -- sam th samth at ccs.neu.edu

# Andrew Dupont (13 years ago)