Notes from TC39 2011-11-16 meeting wrt. globalization

# Nebojša Ćirić (12 years ago)

Notes related to Globalization Ad Hoc group items.

  • Final document has to be ready by the end of February 2012
  • Comments from TC39 meeting incorporated into a final document by mid April (hopefully the comments are minimal)
  • ES 262 test harness should be used - we should talk to the test harness maintainer (he is on parental leave as of yesterday, but Bill Ticehurst, Microsoft, is a good alternative contact)
  • Plan for test 262 should be presented at the March meeting (TR for separate spec, but TC39 needs to work it out - what’s exactly needed?)
  • Add an Annex to the draft with informal/explanatory part of the doc (again, by February)
  • Norbert gave Internationalization group status update as item 4.3
  • Norbert created slide deck based on our 11/15/2011 meeting at Google, which he is going to present as item 5.3 of the TC39 meeting agenda

Technical presentation and discussion (item 5.3)

  • setDefaultLocale on Globalization (implement a way to change default locale)
  • Move localeList into options parameter?
  • Sync up with HTML5 time element ( css.dzone.com/articles/html5-time-element-returned,css.dzone.com/articles/html5-time-element-returned, lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Nov/0011.html)
  • Globalization namespace maybe taken by jQuery plugin
  • Use modules? (may be done ahead of standard) - or use other namespace
  • they are proposing Object.System but will have to hash it out on the list
  • API too Java like? Maybe implement shortcuts without user needing to new DateTimeFormat to format
  • We need to initiate discussion on es-discuss about namespace and API
  • Supplementary characters - some things are in UTF-16 some are not - specify that our algorithm uses UTF-16 encoding
  • Introduce ValueError to core language? (maybe use TypeError, or use .error property of exception object to detect/change)