Another paren-free gotcha

# Waldemar Horwat (13 years ago)

Thinking about the implications of paren-free, I see additional potential trouble spots in addition to the one I mentioned in the meeting yesterday:

Start with ES5 code:

if (a + b) (x.y)() z++

Now (erroneously) convert it to paren-free:

if a + b (x.y)() z++

This doesn't give a syntax error; it silently changes the meaning of the program.

Another hidden pitfall of the paren-free experience is illustrated by the expression refactoring to add parentheses:

Start with ES5 code:

if (a + b/g > f) f = a + b/g

Convert it to paren-free:

if a + b/g > f {f = a + b/g}

So far so good; it works. However, later someone discovers that the code had a logic error, the fix to which is to divide the sum a+b by c instead of dividing only b by c. So he fixes the code to:

if (a + b)/g > f {f = (a + b)/g}

Oops. Now the / starts a regexp. There is an extra closing brace which will simply close the enclosing scope early, so a syntax error likely won't appear for a while.

 Waldemar
# Douglas Crockford (13 years ago)

[...]

These are indeed concerns. But paren-free is still worthwhile. My view is in that in a statement like

 if (a + b/g > f) {f = a + b/g;}

that either the parens around the condition are optional, or the braces around the consequence are optional, but not both (with allowance for 'if else'). My argument with Thompson and Ritchie is that they chose which pair was required, and they picked the wrong pair.

# Peter van der Zee (13 years ago)