strawman for the := operator

# Allen Wirfs-Brock (12 years ago)

Based upon discussions last week in the "July 25, 2012 - TC39 Meeting Notes" thread, I've created a new strawman proposal for a := operator. See strawman:define_properties_operator

:= is a convient way to copy properties from one object to another or to extend an object with new properties. It combines supports for many of the same use cases as the previously proposed "object extension literals" and the JSFixed Object.extend proposal.

The most important characteristic of := is that it uses [[DefineOwnProperty]] semantics rather than [[Put]] semantics to define properties on its target object so it doesn't run into issues with assignment to accessor properties or over-riding inherited readonly properties. It is also smart about dealing with methods that reference super.

Some basic examples:

target := src; //define all own properties of src onto target

//add a method and an accessor to an existing prototype Point.prototype := { plus(aPoint) {return new this.comstructor(this.x+aPoint.x,this.y+aPoint.y}, get rho() {return Math.sqrt(this.xthis.x+this.ythis.y} };

Have at it,

# Erik Corry (12 years ago)

From the straw man:

class Point { constructor(x,y) { this := {x,y} //define and initialize x and y properties of new object } }

should this read:

this := {x: x, y: y}

?

# Erik Corry (12 years ago)

This proposal offers a way to get around some of the strange semantics of '=', specifically the way read-only properties and setters on objects in the prototype chain can restrict what you can do on the receiver of an assignment. However it has some strangeness itself:

  • There is little point in having read-only properties if the common way to do assignment is :=. := will just walk all over a read-only property.

  • Copying private members from one object to another violates the encapsulation pretty badly. You would hope that using private names allowed you to easily reason about which objects have which properties, just by looking at the limited number of places a private name is used. But with this any code in the system that has two instances of a class can splat object a's private properties with those from object b. It's rather like a replay attack in crypto.

  • I don't understand the super stuff. Is there a typo here?: MyConstructor.prototype = Object.create(Baz); //inherit from Bar, not Foo

# Allen Wirfs-Brock (12 years ago)

{x,Y} is syntactic shorthand for {x:x, y:y} See harmony:object_initialiser_shorthand

# Herby Vojčík (12 years ago)

Thanks.

  1. It has lot of typos (I remember two uses of := in examples in the first half where in fact legacy = should have been plus there are a few others, it would benefit from proofreading with someone with editing access).

  2. As was already mentioned, the super rebinding allows me to just

    iWantSuperHere := (class { m(...) {super....} }).prototype;

to get to generic super, but spec's lack of genericity must be worked around this way (or similar). Which is probably different discussion (and with this := around but with super still restricted to classes it would look strange or maybe even ridiculous).

# Allen Wirfs-Brock (12 years ago)

  1. It has lot of typos (I remember two uses of := in examples in the first half where in fact legacy = should have been plus there are a few others, it would benefit from proofreading with someone with editing access).

I fixed: let sealed := Object.seal(...

what's the other one?

# Rick Waldron (12 years ago)

[...]

Allen,

Based on the semantics, specifically 4.I - 4.III, this doesn't work:

var div = document.createElement("div");

// Create a new div that will be hidden div := { innerHTML: "<p>P child element that contains a Text node</p>", id: "my-div", hidden: true };

...This is a pretty major use case that's satisfied by today's "extend" implementations.

I took a crack at implementing your semantics as "Object.extend" to feel out any issues or "gotchas" and came up with a few. I've posted the impl as well as a few relevant tests in this gist:

gist.github.com/3296375

(NOTE: The super binding is probably wrong or inadequate)

I have a feeling that this may be overly complex, but I think that LeftHandSideExpression accessors should be enforced unless AssignmentExpression is defining new accessors of the same name. So, if the AssignmentExpression contains a data property of the same name as an existing property in the LeftHandSideExpression that is an accessor, the value of the AssignmentExpression's data property should be assigned, not defined.

I hope that makes sense.

# Rick Waldron (12 years ago)