Real World Func Decl in Block Scope Breakages

# Brian Terlson (11 years ago)

I have some data on patterns and sites that may break due to the proposed change to semantics of function decls in block scope. I am not advocating for any changes here but merely dumping some data I've gathered. I will continue gathering data about this breaking change and potentially others (eg. let[x] = 1), so any further data you folks are interested in let me know. I think the January meeting would be a good venue to discuss any of this in detail if warranted.

On December 17th, 2235 sites were crawled and their scripts downloaded. These scripts were then processed in an attempt to identify likely breakages due to the change to the semantics of func decls in block scope. In this dataset, 4% of the scripts contained a function declaration in block scope (mostly inside if and try, although pretty much every node contains a function somewhere in this dataset). However, most of these scripts use the function within the same block and so won't be broken. 20 sites, however, will likely be broken by this change in some way. There is also a chance that the tool used to identify breakages has missed some code that will breka.

Below are some examples of code on the web today that will be broken. For each I include a snippet of code that is heavily edited in an attempt to convey the pattern used and the developer intent. I also attempt to identify what functionality will actually be broken.

Most of the breakages occur in non-library code, with two exceptions: qTip 1.0, and thickbox 3.

ninemsn.com.au

RenderModal = function () {

if (x) { // is an array of shortcuts that can be added. Is statically non-empty.

    function K() {

        // process the array of shortcuts in some way

    }

}

K();

};

Scenario

  1.   Navigate to main page.

  2.   Click "Add other shortcuts"

  3.   Click "View more shortcuts" - this will not work.

yandex.ru

if (_ycssjs("BaH0Fmmo2Sg24lRmTPrK0B8qpaA")) {

function cp(g, c, d) { /* ...*/ }

function csh_ifgsid(c, b) { /*...*/ } }

// ... thousands of lines of code ...

if (_ycssjs("rO+QIoSf2L0NwDn6vjJjy+27nxI")) {

function news() {

    csh_if_gsid();

}

}

if (_ycssjs("YRPF0QVjJmhRiKRu6cvi3YXqYo8")) {

// ... bunch of stuff ...

cp();

}

Scenario

Unknown

g.espncdn.com/nfl-primetime-payoff/en/module/entry?matchupid=478

if (isIE && isWin) {

// ...

} else {

function JSGetSwfVer(i){

    // ...

}

}

function checkFlash(myRev) {

// ...

if (isIE && isWin) {

    // ...

} else {

    aV = JSGetSwfVer(rV);

}

}

Scenario

Can't find a page which uses this code.

www.t-online.de

if (!Adition_Environment) {

var Adition_Environment = (function () {

    var _this = {};

    // ...

    _this.getPrf = function (cuId) {

        var prf = "";

        try {

            prf = Adition_Prfstr(cuId);

        } catch (e) { }

        return prf;

    };

    // ...

})();

}

// snip 1k lines

if (typeof Adition_Prfstr == "undefined") {

function Adition_Prfstr(ADITION_CONTENTUNIT_ID) {

    // ...

}

}

Scenario

Required to display advertisements on the page.

manormystery.com

if (!window._ate) {

window._ate = { /* ... */ };

function addthis_open() { /* ... */ } } else { _ate.inst++; }

if (_atc.abf) {

addthis_open(document.getElementById("ab"), "emailab", window.addthis_url || "[URL]", window.addthis_title || "[TITLE]"); }

Scenario

Social sharing popups broken at least. This may be a general utility used in a number of places.

manhunt.net (NSFW, DO NOT VISIT AT WORK)

/** @todo isFlashInstalled() should probably be gotten by include from js/cmmn/flashDetect.js or upfunc.js. */

if (typeof isFlashInstalled == 'undefined') {

function isFlashInstalled() {

    var requiredMajorVersion = 6; // Major version of Flash required

    var requiredMinorVersion = 0;   // Minor version of Flash required

    var requiredRevision = 0;   // Minor version of Flash required

    var s = new SWFObject();

    if (!s) return false;

    var version = s.installedVer;

    if (!version) return false;

    return (version.major >= requiredMajorVersion && version.minor >= requiredMinorVersion && version.rev >= requiredRevision);

}

}

isFlashInstalled();

Scenario

I avoided this site at work for obvious reasons, but it looks like all login functionality will be broken.

www.163.com

NTESAD_Couplet.prototype = {

NTESCreate: function () {

    var widthsmall = this.options.widthsmall;

    var width = this.options.width;

    if (this.options.leftbig != "" && this.options.leftsmall != "") {

        function bighide() {

            coupletLeft.style.display = "none";

            coupletLeftsmall.style.display = "block";

        }

        function smallhide() {

            coupletLeftsmall.style.display = "none";

            coupletLeft.style.display = "block";

        }

    }

    if (this.options.rightbig != "" && this.options.rightsmall != "") {

        function Rbighide() {

            coupletRight.style.display = "none";

            coupletRightsmall.style.display = "block";

        }

    }

    if (this.NTESPosition()) {

        if (this.options.leftbig != "" && this.options.leftsmall != "" && this.options.rightbig != "" && this.options.rightsmall != "") {

            this.NTESBind(coupletclose, "click", function () { bighide(); Rbighide(); coupletRightsmall.style.display = "none"; coupletLeftsmall.style.display = "none"; });

            this.NTESBind(coupletclose2, "click", function () { bighide(); Rbighide(); coupletRightsmall.style.display = "none"; coupletLeftsmall.style.display = "none"; });

        }

    }

}

}

Scenario

Unknown.

www22.verizon.com

if (floatStyle.match(/Content/)) {

var contentDiv = d.getElementById(_b.Preferences.Render.main_content_id || "content");

if (contentDiv == null) {

    floatStyle = this.Preferences.Render.float_style = 'fixed'

}

function getRightOfContent() {

    return contentDiv.offsetWidth + contentDiv.offsetLeft + 1

}

function fixBackground() {

    if (_b.Preferences.Render.fix_background) {

        db.style.backgroundAttachment = "scroll";

        var margin = null;

        if (document.defaultView && document.defaultView.getComputedStyle) {

            margin = parseInt(document.defaultView.getComputedStyle(contentDiv, null).getPropertyValue("margin-left"), 10)

        } else {

            margin = parseInt(contentDiv.currentStyle.marginLeft, 10)

        }

        if (isNaN(margin) || margin == 0) {

            margin = contentDiv.offsetLeft || 0

        }

        db.style.backgroundPosition = (Math.floor(contentDiv.scrollWidth * -0.5) - 2 + margin) + 'px 0'

    }

}

}

// getRightOfContent/fixBackground used repeatedly after this.

Scenario

Couldn't find a scenario where this code was hit, but the site is expansive. Also, the above code is found in at least 2 different scripts across the site.

www.jeuxvideo.com

if (typeof getAppNexusMegaTag == 'undefined' || typeof getAppNexusMegaTag != 'function') {

function getSize1080667() {

    return '250x250';

}

}

if (typeof inFIF != "undefined" && inFIF == true) {

try {

    parent.getSize1080667 = getSize1080667;

} catch (e) { }

}

Scenario

Ad won't display.

msn.foxsports.com

/* this function is much faster, so if possible we use it. Some IEs are the only ones I know of that need the idiotic second function, generated by an if clause. */ function add32(a, b) {

return (a + b) & 0xFFFFFFFF;

}

if (md5('hello') != '5d41402abc4b2a76b9719d911017c592') {

function add32(x, y) {

    var lsw = (x & 0xFFFF) + (y & 0xFFFF),

        msw = (x >> 16) + (y >> 16) + (lsw >> 16);

    return (msw << 16) | (lsw & 0xFFFF);

}

}

Scenario

Nothing is necessary broken about this, as long as the first add32 functions properly (today everyone with this code is using the second function). This is a fairly common MD5 library (do a search for "idiotic second function" to get an idea, however this was only found once in the dataset).

iwiw.hu/i/belepes

(function () {

if (jQuery.fn.lazyload) {

    function a() {

        return typeof f !== "undefined" ? f : (f = jQuery("body").hasClass("lazyloadimages"))

    }

}

jQuery(function () {

    if (a()) {

        d.apply(document.body)

    }

})

})();

Scenario

Unknown

www.laposte.net

if (!window.$extend) {

function $extend(c, a) {

    for (var b in (a || {})) {

        c[b] = a[b]

    } return c

}

}

// $extend used repeatedly after this

Scenario

Unknown

atpworldtour.com

/*

  • Stores hash values for localization.

  • Will need duplicating for each language.

*/

if (typeof registerNS == "undefined") {

function registerNS(ns) {

    var nsParts = ns.split(".");

    var root = window;

    for (var i = 0; i < nsParts.length; i++) {

        if (typeof root[nsParts[i]] == "undefined")

            root[nsParts[i]] = new Object();

        root = root[nsParts[i]];

    }

}

}

registerNS("atp.utilities");

// called repeatedly after this.

Scenario

Entire site is unusable.

atwiki.jp

if (typeof AddClipsFlag == "undefined") {

var AddClipsFlag = 'addclips';

// ...

function AddClipsLoad() { /* ... */ }

// ...

}

AddClipsLoad();

Scenario

RSS functionality broken. This appears to be a library of some kind (see www.addclips.orgwww.addclips.org).

Library: qTip 1.0: Craga89/qTip1/blob/master/1.0.0-rc3/jquery.qtip-1.0.0-rc3.js as seen on Zoompanel.com

if (t.options.hide.when.event == "inactive") {

function y(z) {

}

} else {

// ...

}

function x(z) {

if (t.options.hide.when.event == "inactive") {

    y()

}

}

Scenario

Used on zoompanel.com. Tooltips will never disappear after showing up.

Library: thickbox 3 (thickbox.net), in use on runescape.com and baixaki.com.br if (!(TB_PrevHTML === "")) {

function goPrev(){

}

$("#TB_prev").click(goPrev);

}

if (!(TB_NextHTML === "")) {

function goNext(){

}

$("#TB_next").click(goNext);

}

document.onkeydown = function (e) {

if (keycode == 190) { // display previous image

    if (!(TB_NextHTML == "")) {

        document.onkeydown = "";

        goNext();

    }

} else if (keycode == 188) { // display next image

    if (!(TB_PrevHTML == "")) {

        document.onkeydown = "";

        goPrev();

    }

}

}

Scenario

Going back/forward with keyboard is broken.

kankan.com

Snippet

if (typeof getCookie == 'undefined') {

function getCookie(name) {

}

}

// ...

if (getCookie('tpar')) {

var irStartTime = new Date().getTime();

window.attachEvent('onunload', irTimeStat); }

Scenario

Unknown, possibly just for tracking purposes.

Google +1 library (only seen on TMZ.com, possibly this lib is out of date) try {

function h(a) {

    throw a;

}

// plus a ton of other decls

} catch (e) { }

try {

h(Error("foo"));

// plus a ton of calls to other block scoped functions } catch (e) { }

Scenario

Plus one button is broken.

# David Herman (11 years ago)

Thanks for the data.

My understanding of the consensus was that block-local functions would only have the new semantics within strict code (which includes module code), so there would be no breakage of existing content.

That said, if we felt the breakage was acceptable, in the long run it'd be preferable to have consistent semantics of block-local functions everywhere. Data like this certainly helps to make more informed decision about that.

# Allen Wirfs-Brock (11 years ago)