Full Unicode based on UTF-16 proposal

# Norbert Lindenberg (12 years ago)

Based on my prioritization of goals for support for full Unicode in ECMAScript [1], I've put together a proposal for supporting the full Unicode character set based on the existing representation of text in ECMAScript using UTF-16 code unit sequences: norbertlindenberg.com/2012/03/ecmascript-supplementary-characters/index.html

The detailed proposed spec changes serve to get a good idea of the scope of the changes, but will need some polishing.

Comments?

Thanks, Norbert

[1] esdiscuss/2012-February/020721

# Erik Corry (12 years ago)

This is very useful, and was surely a lot of work. I like the general thrust of it a lot. It has a high level of backwards compatibility, does not rely on the VM having two different string implementations in it, and it seems to fix the issues people are encountering.

However I think we probably do want the /u modifier on regexps to control the new backward-incompatible behaviour. There may be some way to relax this for regexp literals in opted in Harmony code, but for new RegExp(...) and for other string literals I think there are rather too many inconsistencies with the old behaviour.

The algorithm given for codePointAt never returns NaN. It should probably do that for indices that hit a trail surrogate that has a lead surrogate preceeding it.

Perhaps it is outside the scope of this proposal, but it would also make a lot of sense to add some named character classes to RegExp.

If we are makig a /u modifier for RegExp it would also be nice to get rid of the incorrect case independent matching rules. This is the section that says: "If ch's code unit value is greater than or equal to decimal 128 and cu's code unit value is less than decimal 128, then return ch."