[Map|Set|WeakMap].prototype.isEmpty()?

# Nicholas C. Zakas (12 years ago)

I had mentioned this in passing in a previous email, but wanted to bring it up again.

As I've been playing more with maps and sets, I've come to realize that I do this a lot:

 //note: FF implementation
 if (set.size() === 0) { ... }

Basically, the only thing I've ever done with the size of one of these structures is compare it against zero, meaning that I've only ever cared if the structure was empty not necessarily how many items were contained within.

I don't know if it's worthwhile or not, but I would personally love to see isEmpty() as a method on Map, Set, and WeakMap (maybe Array and String, too?). It seems to go along nicely with the clear() method on Map, Set, and WeakMap.

# David Bruant (12 years ago)

It does not apply to WeakMaps, but otherwise, I agree it's a nice method to have on Map and Set.

David

so I don't see much different with collections and size()

Said that, I have bad feelings when I read "empty()" thinking about all other set of inconsistencies famous in PHP world :-)

# Rick Waldron (12 years ago)

I had mentioned this in passing in a previous email, but wanted to bring it up again.

As I've been playing more with maps and sets, I've come to realize that I do this a lot:

//note: FF implementation
if (set.size() === 0) { ... }

*.size is a get accessor:

if ( !set.size ) { .... }