2 questions about ES6 module loaders

# Glen (9 years ago)

I apologize if these are silly questions, but:

1. Do ES6 module loaders make use of the browser cache? f.e. If you request a JS module and that JS file is in memory/on disk, will it return that file instead?

2. Will ES6 module loaders set a header that indicates that the request is not a regular browser request? (similar to how JS libs set an X-Requested-With header) If not, will it be possible to add custom headers to such requests?

I don't really know which method browsers will use to load modules – I assume XMLHttpRequest is used for current polyfills, but I don't know what the actual implementations will use (?).

Thanks.

# Tab Atkins Jr. (9 years ago)

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 6:57 AM, Glen <glen.84 at gmail.com> wrote:

I apologize if these are silly questions, but:

1. Do ES6 module loaders make use of the browser cache? f.e. If you request a JS module and that JS file is in memory/on disk, will it return that file instead?

All network requests use the browser cache. Assuming you've set the correct caching headers, you'll get a cached version when you make a request a second time. Only the user can work around this, by clearing their cache or doing a hard refresh.

1. Will ES6 module loaders set a header that indicates that the request is not a regular browser request? (similar to how JS libs set an X-Requested-With header) If not, will it be possible to add custom headers to such requests?

What's the reason for this?

If you implement a custom loader, you can add whatever headers you want (subject to Fetch restrictions).

I don't really know which method browsers will use to load modules – I assume XMLHttpRequest is used for current polyfills, but I don't know what the actual implementations will use (?).

Native loader will use the browser's normal request mechanisms.

# Glen (9 years ago)

What's the reason for this?

With something like PJAX, you would look for a header in order to disable the layout. I thought maybe if you loaded a JS module and it imported a "view", that view could share the same endpoint as the one used to render the whole page. It's not a big deal though, I was just curious.

Thanks for your help.

PS. "from X import Y" syntax would have been useful in cases where IDEs provide auto-completion. I know it's too late for changes now.

# Brendan Eich (9 years ago)

Glen wrote:

PS. "from X import Y" syntax would have been useful in cases where IDEs provide auto-completion. I know it's too late for changes now.

It has other advantages: Python-like for those who care; Y can be a long braced list or pattern, which goes better at the end.

But too late, and import was reserved in ES1 and ur-JS, but not in IE JScript (which did not follow ES1's list of future reserved words, reserving only class enum extends super, IIRC). Still, some warding-off effect from the '90s when people couldn't use import as an identifier.