optional "function" keyword

# Isaac Schlueter (12 years ago)

A great many letters have been typed regarding the number of letters in the word "function".

What if we just made the keyword "function" entirely optional, dart-style?

*ShortNamedFunctionDeclaration* *:**Identifier **<no_linebreak>* *(*
*FormalParameterListopt* *) <no_linebreak> {* *FunctionBody* *}*
*ShortNamedFunctionExpression* *:**Identifier **<no_linebreak>* *(*
*FormalParameterListopt* *) <no_linebreak> {* *FunctionBody* *}*

Note that the identifier is no longer optional, and that no linebreak is allowed between the parameter list and the body, unlike current function decl/exprs.

myList.forEach(x (item) {
  item += 2
  doSomethingElse(item)
  assert(typeof x === "function")
})
// expression, not declaration
assert(typeof x === "undefined")

// declaration, hoisted
assert(typeof doSomethingElse === "function")

doSomethingElse (item) {
  // IIFE, not declaration
  ;(y (n) { item += n })(Math.random())
  assert(typeof y === "undefined")
}

Is there an obvious case I'm overlooking where this sort of construction would fail? Clearly, you can't put the { on the next line or else it'll be interpreted as an invocation followed by a block, and that could be a significant footgun. But, it's not a new footgun, since \n{ is problematic with return anyhow. (I long for a mode where \n{ is always a syntax error.) And, it introduces no new keywords, no syntax that isn't already an error, and no new semantics.

I'm eager to see what I missed when you shoot this down :)

# Russell Leggett (12 years ago)

I believe is has effectively been added under the more constrained object literal extensions

# Thaddee Tyl (12 years ago)

An interesting property of this syntax is that anonymous functions can be written this way:

myList.forEach(? (item) { doWith(item) })

(it can also be lambda (item) { ... })

# Isaac Schlueter (12 years ago)

Yes, any valid function identifier could be used, because it's not actually a keyword.

_ (arg) { ... }
f (arg) { ... }
$ (arg) { ... }
? (arg) { ... }
# Brendan Eich (12 years ago)

This approach requires a restriction: [no LineTerminator here] between the ) and the {:

js> function f(a,b,c){return a*b+c}
js> var x=2,y=3,z=4,w
js> f(x,y,z) {
typein:3: SyntaxError: missing ; before statement:
typein:3: f(x,y,z) {
typein:3: .........^
js> eval("w=f(x,y,z)\n{print(w)}")
10

(That last 10 came from print(w) of course; the completion value of the eval was undefined.)

Leaving out the f in the "definition" doesn't help, since (a,b,c) is a comma expression. The requirement is no LineTerminator between the ) and the {.

We went around a nearby block recently, in considering {(a,b)...} for block lambdas. Everyone I remember initially favoring this syntax came around to oppose it because the opportunity for confusion due to parenthesized expression statements already mixing with curly-braced block statements was too great.

Perhaps this case is different enough. But is it? Modified Prototype 1.6:

inGroupsOf(number, fillWith) {
  fillWith = Object.isUndefined(fillWith) ? null : fillWith;
  return this.eachSlice(number, (slice) {
    while(slice.length < number) slice.push(fillWith);
    return slice;
  });
},

inject(memo, iterator, context) {
  iterator = iterator.bind(context);
  this.each((value, index) {
    memo = iterator(memo, value, index);
  });
  return memo;
},

invoke(method) {
  var args = $A(arguments).slice(1);
  return this.map((value) {
    return value[method].apply(value, args);
  });
},

I've obviously also used method definition shorthand by changing any function ( occurrences in the original prototype code to just (.

Without a leading keyword, it's harder to find the functions. Not impossible, not saying this is a deal breaker. But it is harder.

# Isaac Schlueter (12 years ago)

This approach requires a restriction: [no LineTerminator here] between the ) and the {

Yes, I did put that in the OP, but it looks like my mail client helpfully wrapped at that point, which is a bit confusing :)

Leaving out the f in the "definition" doesn't help, since (a,b,c) is a comma expression. The requirement is no LineTerminator between the ) and the {.

Yes, an identifier is required. It would not be possible to define an unnamed function in this way.

Without a leading keyword, it's harder to find the functions. Not impossible, not saying this is a deal breaker. But it is harder.

Agreed. This was inspired by seeing some code in candor and dart, and getting jealous of their nice terse functions :) However, having not used this style in real programs, it's hard to comment on whether it would continue to be nice, or get annoying.

# Brendan Eich (12 years ago)

Isaac Schlueter wrote:

This approach requires a restriction: [no LineTerminator here]
between the ) and the {:

Yes, I did put that in the OP, but it looks like my mail client helpfully wrapped at that point, which is a bit confusing :)

No irony.

Leaving out the f in the "definition" doesn't help, since (a,b,c)
is a comma expression. The requirement is no LineTerminator
between the ) and the {.

Yes, an identifier is required. It would not be possible to define an unnamed function in this way.

Why not express an anonymous function, though? Definition != expression. As usual, an expression statement could not start with ( and consist entirely of a function-keyword-free anonymous function expression.

Without a leading keyword, it's harder to find the functions. Not
impossible, not saying this is a deal breaker. But it is harder.

Agreed. This was inspired by seeing some code in candor and dart, and getting jealous of their nice terse functions :) However, having not used this style in real programs, it's hard to comment on whether it would continue to be nice, or get annoying.

Dart has mandatory semicolons to help avoid trouble around the edges of statements/definitions.

Candor is new, so no one has deep experience.

To get further we'd need some brave souls to try this out with a trivial transpiler, at scale.

# Isaac Schlueter (12 years ago)

Yes, an identifier is required.  It would not be possible to define an unnamed function in this way.

Why not express an anonymous function, though? Definition != expression. As usual, an expression statement could not start with ( and consist entirely of a function-keyword-free anonymous function expression.

I see. So, you'd be suggesting using:

( args ) { functionBody }

as an anonymous function expression, though not a function expression statement? What about these?

;(( args ) { functionBody })
!( args ) { functionBody }

Certainly, this is quite nice:

myList.forEach((item) { .. })

Dart has mandatory semicolons to help avoid trouble around the edges of statements/definitions.

Candor is new, so no one has deep experience.

To get further we'd need some brave souls to try this out with a trivial transpiler, at scale.

True that.

# Brendan Eich (12 years ago)

Brendan Eich wrote:

Yes, an identifier is required. It would not be possible to define an unnamed function in this way.

Why not express an anonymous function, though? Definition != expression. As usual, an expression statement could not start with ( and consist entirely of a function-keyword-free anonymous function expression.

I should have stopped at "could not start with". Doesn't matter how it might end, an expression-statement can't start with 'function' now and, under the proposal, could not start with the ( beginning a formal parameter list.

# Rick Waldron (12 years ago)

A few months ago, I made this same suggestion, here: www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg07021.html

And David Herman very succintly explained here:

www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg07031.html

# Brendan Eich (12 years ago)

Isaac Schlueter wrote:

I see. So, you'd be suggesting using:

 ( args ) { functionBody }

as an anonymous function expression, though not a function expression statement?

Right, see followup. The grammar without lookahead restrictions is ambiguous. See ES5,

12.4 Expression Statement

Syntax

ExpressionStatement : [lookahead ∉ {{, function}] Expression ;

NOTE An ExpressionStatement cannot start with an opening curly brace because that might make it ambiguous with a Block. Also, an ExpressionStatement cannot start with the function keyword because that might make it ambiguous with a FunctionDeclaration.

Of course we cannot naively extend the lookahead rejection set to include ( because that forbids a top level parenthesized expression statement. One way around this is to refactor the grammar similarly to what I propose in

strawman:block_lambda_revival#syntax

to separate InitialValue from AssignmentExpression, and then allow 'function'-free function expressions as alternative right parts for IniitalValues. Thus you could write such shorthand function expressions in all places where you can write function expressions today, except unparenthesized followed by . or [ or another operator (+ might be useful, or confusing, sporadically).

This also allows us to extend the shorthand syntax to support an expression body as well as a braced statement list:

IniitialValue: AssignmentExpression ShortFunctionExpression

AssignmentExpression: ... LeftHandSideExpression = ShortFunctionExpression

ShortFunctionExpression: Identifier_opt ( FormalParameterList_opt ) { FunctionBody } Identifier_opt ( FormalParameterList_opt ) IniitialValue

without precedence inversion problems.

What about these?

 ;(( args ) { functionBody })
 !( args ) { functionBody }

All fine, just as if you'd used the hated eight-letter keyword in front of the (.

Certainly, this is quite nice:

 myList.forEach((item) { .. })

Less nice for map because of the hated six-letter keyword, but yeah.

# Brendan Eich (12 years ago)

I know, that's why I wrote that a [no LineTerminator here] restricted production would be required (which I just forgot to include in my mini-grammar sent to Isaac, guh).

Dave assumed we wouldn't add such a restriction. But if we do, then there's no backward incompatibility because right now you cannot run (a,b,c) up against {foo(); bar = baz()} on the same line.

# Brendan Eich (12 years ago)

Brendan Eich wrote:

ShortFunctionExpression: Identifier_opt ( FormalParameterList_opt ) { FunctionBody } Identifier_opt ( FormalParameterList_opt ) IniitialValue

Let's try that again:

ShortFunctionExpression: Identifier_opt ( FormalParameterList_opt ) [no LineTerminator here] { FunctionBody } Identifier_opt ( FormalParameterList_opt ) [no LineTerminator here] IniitialValue

But of course the second production creates bad ambiguities for all InitialValue bodies that start with an operator or punctuator that could be infix as well as prefix: +/-/[ at least.

More work needed. I may write a strawman up. Encourage me!

# Isaac Schlueter (12 years ago)

I'd suggest dropping the

Identifier_opt ( FormalParameterList_opt ) [no LineTerminator here] IniitialValue

production. Wouldn't that mean that you could have something like this?

var allA = list.map(() "a")

I think the curly braces are ok here. Hated keywords should be attacked one at a time, imo.

# Brendan Eich (12 years ago)

Isaac Schlueter wrote:

I'd suggest dropping the

Identifier_opt ( FormalParameterList_opt ) [no LineTerminator here]

IniitialValue

production. Wouldn't that mean that you could have something like this?

 var allA = list.map(() "a")

I think the curly braces are ok here. Hated keywords should be attacked one at a time, imo.

Divide-and-conquer in language design can go down many bad paths. One is that if we attack 'return' naively, we make a completion-value leak hazard (discussed many times on this list).

Block-lambda revival uses a different-looking syntactic special form to call out the places where TCP holds and return means the same in the body as in the enclosing function.

For what we're discussing here, no such TCP should be contemplated (you'll be relieved to hear :-P). That means we can't just say "curly braces and impute the return value from the completion value", though

# David Herman (12 years ago)